Ever wondered why your cat eats grass?
Many cat owners have noticed their cat at one point or another eating grass and throwing up not long after. The good news is, this is not a cause for concern. No evidence has been found to suggest that ingestion of grass will harm your cat. In fact, there are many benefits!
Relieving upset stomachs
The reason your cat vomits shortly after eating grass is because they do not have the necessary enzymes to digest large amounts of grass. However, as part of the throwing up process, your cat is able to eliminate indigestible matters such as fur, feathers, parasites or bones from their digestive tract, allowing them to relieve an upset stomach. This is useful for cats as they eat their prey as is, including both the edible and inedible parts.
Grass juice contains folic acid which is an essential vitamin for cat’s bodily functions and increases oxygen levels in their blood. Therefore, if you find your cat eating grass, they may just be looking for a vitamin boost!
Eating grass can help your cat have regular bowel movements. This is especially helpful if your cat has fur clogged in their digestive tracts.
Although ingesting grass can be very beneficial for cats, it is important to keep any grass treated with pesticides or fertilizer away from your cat. If this is the case, or your cat is an indoor cat, there are also small trays of grass just for cats that you can buy. Cats will typically self-regulate the amount of grass they eat. However, please call us if you have any concerns or questions.